Thursday, May 24, 2007

Nissin Demae - Tonkotsu Flavor

Lately, I've found myself eating a string of Nissin Demae ramens. I'm not really sure why, 99 Ranch Market must have been having a sale or something when I picked these up. Anyhow, these are the Tonkotsu Flavor, which Sandi reviewed nearly 2 years ago!

Tonkotsu flavor is a pretty popular style of fresh ramen, although not as popular as Shio (salt flavored), Shoyu (soy sauce flavored), or Miso (miso flavored). Tonkotsu broth is made out of crushed pork bones and is usually a milky white color. The first sip of this broth reveals its strong pork identity.


One thing that I really like about Nissin Demae noodles is that they retain a tiny bit of crispiness even after being cooked in the broth. I don't like when the noodles get completely soggy like they do with those excuses for noodles that come in styrofoam cups.

I thought that this broth was just too salty. Interestingly, this is a complaint that I also sometimes have with restaurant ramen. The plentiful sesame seeds are a pleasant departure from the ordinary and a nice touch. However, they can't rescue this broth which is just too salty.

Nissin Demae - Tonkotsu Flavor - 4.0/10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this one when I tried it. I threw in some fried tofu so I guess that must have absorbed some of the flavor.

Anonymous said...

I just tried this as my first foray into instant ramen - my selection technique involved waiting for the two asian students in front of me to pick something and grabbing the same :D
I liked them! Love the sesame seeds, didn't find it too salty and was pleased to look them up on the net and find that Tonkotsu was something minus squick factor :D

buy kamagra said...

I think that you can find it in many places around the world,only we have to be careful about the tips that the life give you.