Sunday, September 09, 2007

Unif Tung-I Ramen Noodles - Chinese Onion Flavor

When I cooked these noodles and started eating them, they seemed a little familiar to me. It turns out I already blogged about them about a year and half ago! I decided to write a review anyways, though, in case my opinions had changed. I would like to mention that these are quite similar to the Unif Tung-I Instant Rice Noodles - Chinese Onion Flavor that I tried recently. As you might expect, the only difference is in the noodles themselves.


I am very familiar with Unif Tung-I's ramen noodles and I consider them to be a typical example of Taiwanese instant noodles. They have a nice nutty flavor and are deeply fried, which gives them a crispy brittleness out of the package that you wouldn't see out of Korean, Japanese, or other common instant noodles. However, upon cooking, the noodles become extremely soft yet keep some of their nutty flavor. I happen to enjoy Taiwanese instant noodles, but definitely don't expect the chewy noodles that you would find in Korean, Japanese or American instant noodles.


The broth for these noodles tastes salty and mild with a firm onion flavor. It is subtle and there is not a lot of flavor, but the taste is still satisfying and inoffensive. If you like fried red onions, you will like the flavor of these noodles. These instant noodles are a decent snack if you are looking for something that will not overwhelm your tastebuds. One and a half years later, though, I think I've discovered some better options that you could treat yourself to!

Unif Tung-I Ramen Noodles - Chinese Onion Flavor - 5.5/10

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE these noodles. My mother is from Taiwan so of course this is a super great tasting snack that I grew up with. We even crush the noodles in the bag and eat them dried. (I learned this when I visited Taiwan as a child) This is YUMMY! My kids now enjoy this Taiwanese treat. These noodle stay chewier if you boil water and place it over the noodles and seasoning in a ceramic bowl and cover for 5 min.(be sure to flip noodles halfway). I also use them for a quick stir fry "lo mien" dish. If you are interested in the recipe I will blog it later. These noodles are the perfect treat, snack, soup, or meal. :)