Sunday, September 10, 2006

Nissin Demae XO Sauce Seafood Flavor

As this ramen blog has established, the Nissin Demae ramen line is typically mediocre with cardboard-like noodles and very little flavor. Nevertheless, I decided to the XO Sauce Seafood Flavor out of curiosity. What is XO sauce?



The ramen comes with three packets - a soup base, "oil", and a brown paste. The soup base has some dehydrated green onions that plump up nicely in the soup.



The noodles were definitely the typical Nissin Demae noodles - I could identify these in a blind taste test I think. The broth tasted quite strongly of the artificial seafood flavor common to instant ramen and the oil provded a nice creaminess to the meal. However, I'm still not sure what XO sauce is - it tasted somewhat garlicky. Nevertheless, this is probably my favorite of the Nissin Demae ramens that I've tried so far.

7 comments:

Alvin said...

Actually, I don't think Nissin is bad at all! They aren't the best, but some of their flavors are quite good. I particularly like their Hot and Spicy flavor, I'll have to pick it up and review it next time I stop by 99 Ranch Market.

Anonymous said...

No ranking of the Seafood flavor?

Anonymous said...

XO is a sauce used in Chinese cooking - usually based on dried scallops (conpoy), chillies, garlic and onion. I quite like Nissin noodles. Try their Laksa flavour.

Anonymous said...

More on XO here at wikipedia

Anonymous said...

Nissin owns!

Anonymous said...

try some Nissin Cup Noodles XO Sauce Seafood Flavor
that s my flavor

Hikarinohanafansub said...

Thhis is a great blog