Saturday, September 02, 2006

Ve Wong Noodle - Vegetarian Flavor

"Vegetarian Flavor" and "Instant Noodles" are not words that should go together, but I bravely picked this one up from the local 99 Ranch Market anyway. It's made by Ve Wong, which is a noodle company based in Taiwan.

As you might expect, the powder packet contained a fair amount of dried seaweed and carrots which magically plumped up when water was added. The weird thing that there were some TVP chunks as well. TVP stands for "textured vegetable protein" and is used as a cheap meat substitute. But why would they be including it in something that was meant to be vegetarian flavored anyways??

The only way I can think of to describe these noodles is that it is a spinach soup. In other words, not very good. I wasn't expecting much from these noodles, and they certainly didn't deliver much. But at least it didn't repulse me like some shrimp or crab flavored noodles. From now on I will be sticking to noodles that taste like meat, hot & spicy, miso, udon, etc...

Ve Wong Noodle - Vegetarian Flavor - 3.0/10

1 comment:

Pravit said...

Awesome site! I'm a huge fan of Shin Ramyun and other Korean ramens; I just tried Chapagetti out after noticing it on your blog, although you gave it a poor review(I still quite liked it). I used to blog about ramen a bit; will definitely link to your blog. Your reviews are so descriptive and fun to read.

BTW, if any of your readers are interested, I make Shin Ramyun t-shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/shin_stop
http://www.cafepress.com/shin_stop2

Keep up the good work!