Saturday, November 17, 2007

Jin Ramyon - Hot Taste

I don't think I'll ever fully understand why ramen manufacturers choose to put pictures of raw eggs on the front of their packages. But Ottogi Ramyon, makers of Jin Ramyon have chosen to do just that. In Korean cuisine, it is customary to crack a raw egg into your boiling hot soup at the dinner table. In that case, though, the egg cooks immediately and doesn't sit on top of the soup looking raw.

Ottogi Ramyon has very little distribution in the US and I've only seen them in one supermarket in my life. This is typical of many imported ramen, however, since it is difficult to compete with such tight profit margins on instant noodles. The noodles here were thick and chewy but lacked flavor. The broth was spicy, but not nearly as spicy as some of the other Korean instant noodles that I've had recently. In fact, it was a little disappointing that the broth wasn't spicier, since I had been expecting a real sweat-inducing lava soup.


There isn't much that's exciting about these noodles. The broth is mildly spicy, but not especially flavorful and the noodles themselves are quite forgettable. There are much better Korean spicy instant noodles so pick up another pack.

Jin Ramyon - Hot Taste - 3.0/10

8 comments:

111 said...

Hi...I'm Pilhee Kang, a reporter of local newspaper named 'KOOKJE SHINMOON' in Busan, the second largest city of South Korea.

I found your website while looking for some informations about 'ramyon' in Google.
I've enjoyed reading your comments on all those variaties of ramyons made in all around the world.

Could you tell me how can I contact you on line so that I can ask you some questions like....
the motivation of your interests in ramyon, thoughts about korean versions, how many ramyons you've tried...and so on...

flute@kookje.co.kr
kangpilhee@hanmail.net

These are two of my email addresses...hope I can have a chance to have a little talk with you....

Unknown said...

I am part korean. We often eat this, and my grandmother, who is full korean, adds eggs, kimchi, rice cakes, and diced green jalepenos. it's delicious.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Anonymous said...

you can find a good selection of korean ramen at ramenklub.com. plus they have ramen videos where people can share.

Anonymous said...

Try www.KOAmart.com
I found tons of different ramens and snacks from Korea and Japan. I loved it. I hope you will too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a brand I often buy! I buy it at the Hmart near Atlanta, GA. if you live around there, I highly recommend go there, they have a wide selection!

buy kamagra said...

It is a delicious brand I agree, their chili flavor is one of a kind.